View Single Post
Old November 6 2010, 01:20 AM   #51
Rear Admiral
Re: Fringe: "Amber 31422" - Nov. 4 - Grading & Discussion

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
It's just getting old to come in and bitch about the same television shows week after week.
Then use the Ignore feature. I always know when an episode or series isn't working is that I find myself getting more pleasure from criticizing it.
If you don't like it that much, don't watch it.
I'm interested in the mythology.
Go pull out some Star Trek: TNG DVDs
I have been watching them as a matter of fact and the more I watch those old TNG episodes I've seen dozens of times just reminds me of what quality television, especially sff, was like even moreso watching it alongside all the contemporary shows--TNG was far more consistent in terms of episode quality, the characters were ones you could invest in and TNG showed you could do original interesting standalone sci-fi stories with no arc at all. I have no issue with standalones but they need to be entertaining. Give me "Cause and Effect", "Remember Me", "Future Imperfect", "Night Terrors", "Clues", "The Minds Eye", "Timescape", "Disaster", "The Survivors", "The Bonding", "The Enemy", "Conundrum", "Power Play", "The Next Phase" etc over *any" Fringe standalone.

Actually there isn't anything wrong with standalone plots. I said this same thing when Enterprise was on--the problem with both ENT and Fringe is that they just tell old tired predictable bland underwhelming standalone stories that have no energy or spark to them. But if you can't be inspired telling standalones then do arcs since seemingly both ENT and Fringe's writing took a significant upswing when they couldn't just pull out an old story and make a few tweaks to turn it into a Fringe or ENT episode.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote