View Single Post
Old November 4 2010, 09:50 AM   #151
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
Because watching a person try one dead phone or one dead computer after another makes for RIVETING viewing, right?
That's right. It's a great way to build suspense and escalate fear.

I'm happy they didn't dwell on this aspect. Everyone has been familiar with the basic initial play-out of a zombie-apocalypse since "Night of the Living Dead" in 1968. We've SEEN the origin of the event story--SEVERAL times in SEVERAL movies. Anyone familiar enough with the concept of zombies to bother tuning in has likely seen at LEAST one of these. Personally, I'm glad it was NOT rehashed here and we're able to get on to traveling some new ground.
If this were a comedy, he could have just said, "I've seen this movie." But it's a drama that needs to stand on its own.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Yes, if I were to actually wake up during a situation like this, I would try to contact people. How do we know he didn't? Just because we didn't see it happen doesn't mean it didn't happen. There are things in storytelling that you just don't need to elaborate on.
As I said in my initial Post, the episode was paced for grownups. I don't see why they couldn't have included a montage of him trying all the things I mentioned. How long would it have taken? 30 seconds? As it is, aside from maybe fashion or car models, there's nothing to say this story couldn't have taken place in 2000, 1990, 1980....

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
There seemed to be a fair amount of time compression in the scenes between him waking up and him leaving the hospital; he was a lot surer on his feet when he found the exit. He may have tried numerous computers and radios and TVs and cell phones, I don't think the viewer needs to be shown all of that. As for the storytelling, I think it was more effective how it was done, leaving the audience in the dark until the situation could be dramatically related first-hand by the survivor. Those retelling scenes were some of the best, IMO.
He wouldn't have learned anything, except that the situation was Apocalyptically bad, which was kind of the point. Again, maybe there will be restored scenes on the DVD. But, to me, it seemed odd that he wasn't desperate to find someone or get information.