View Single Post
Old November 3 2010, 09:12 PM   #168
havoc92
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to havoc92
Re: NCC-1701 USS Enterprise Deck by Deck - WIP

Albertese wrote: View Post
havoc92 wrote: View Post

I also did a full beam instead of I-beams. I figured these columns should be more like the support columns at the base of a building - hollow core and thick walls. But I also imagine that a lot is going to rest in the nature of the materials used. These are going to be alloys that like a samurai blade allow for a mix of rigidity and flexibility.

It turns out that I-beams, regardless of material used, will always be stronger than "solid" beams. I have to get back to work so I don't have time to discuss all the reasons why, but to sum it up, the mass of a solid structure works against its loadbearing ability especially when we're talking about torque. For example, a solid rod bends much more easily than a hollow tube made of the same material. It's more than simply a mass savings to use I-beams; they are structurally superior due to the way the shape physically works, no matter what sort of material the form is made of.

Otherwise, great project, I really like how things are shaping up!

--Alex
Thank you. And you'll note that I said I used hollow core beams Same thing as used in the base of skyscrapers.