View Single Post
Old November 3 2010, 01:35 PM   #88
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Shaping a Cardassian - Among the Dragons

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
Wait until I get to the chapter where they listen to Karama's favourite music I already know how I imagine Cardassian music and which Earth music is the closest thing to it
I'll be very interested to see what you choose, and if it's anything like what I've imagined for my own universe!

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I don't like how Kapoor's superior says that the Cardassians are "not ready to be part of the Alpha Quadrant" based on an incident that Gul Jarol disciplined Karama for.
To be honest I am not so sure Ullmann included in her report that Karama had been disciplined for that. I don't think she would lie, but she might have omitted a few "details"; not even out of malice, but of being hurt and scared. She wanted to make sure everyone knew how bad that assignment was for her.
I'm not surprised Ullmann left that out. However, I would've thought Kapoor would put it in.

I think she wrote as much as she could without going into too personal matters. I'm sure she tried to present the event from a neutral perspective and that would also include his side of the story and his reaction after the incident. While she wouldn't try to make his actions appear less hideous, she would try to present him truthfully - a man with a conscience and regrets, although not perfect.
Going THAT personal (the stuff about becoming his father) is something that if I'd been Kapoor, I would only have put in with permission, if it seemed like that was the only way to get Starfleet to understand that he truly knew his behavior was unacceptable (and not just because he got caught). But not without permission...otherwise I would only say that Karama later expressed deep regret (without being asked to do so).