View Single Post
Old November 2 2010, 03:20 AM   #773
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

80. The Corpse Bride (B)
81. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (B+)
82. Beauty and the Beast (A+)

The "best of Disney" poll had this on my mind, so when I saw the Diamond Edition, I figured it was time to buy - I watched this film plenty on VHS in the early/mid-90s (never saw it in theatres; the rerelease of The Great Mouse Detective and Aladdin were my first visits to the cinema), but I hadn't seen it in at least ten years, probably longer. I don't rewatch things a lot, because generally my memory is fabulous, but given the time elapse, there's a lot of stuff I didn't really remember, such as the cameo by future-Frollo Tony Jay as a corrupt asylum master. This set has both the theatrical release and the extended version with a new musical number, which I'd never seen before (the song, "Human Again", is fun and adds a bit more to the castle servants, but one can see why it was cut). A classic by any measure, and I still know all the songs by heart (my younger brother and I used to do "Gaston" all the time at family gatherings). The film is also situated at a bit of a turning point in the history of animation: it really introduces CGI into the mix (the famous ballroom scene), albeit in a supporting role, and it's the last film made before Aladdin and Toy Story introduced the idea of recruiting name actors to play animated parts, something that had previously been considered beneath the stars and a little pointless.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote