View Single Post
Old November 2 2010, 12:01 AM   #290
Wereghost
Commodore

Re: Angel ep by ep; rewatch and reviews

The Buffyverse's live-action incarnation went out on a high note with this fast-moving, sharply-scripted, poignant and witty send-off.

saturn5 wrote: View Post
Best line; plenty to choose from, best written shows on TV and they saved some of the best until last;
I concur on all points. It looks like JW in particular was giving it his all. Aside from the dialogue you mentioned, I like:

ANGEL: Then we're all agreed.
SPIKE: Yeah, we're all one big happy Manson family.

VAIL: We're interested in Mr. Wyndham-Price. He seems intriguingly unstable.
SENATOR: Mr. Gunn, on the other hand, does not, which is a pity. He had so much potential.
SEBASSIS: He is not, however, our greatest concern.

ANGEL: If the next words out of your mouth are "Kill Spike", we just might have to kiss.
(smirks)

LINDSEY: What are you thinking about?
EVE: Angel.
LINDSEY: (stares away) You simply couldn't have said a worse thing than that.

SPIKE: Can I deny you three times?

HAMILTON: Why do you keep fighting? You signed away your Shanshu. There's nothing in it for you anymore.
ANGEL: People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do.
HAMILTON: Yeah, but we won't care.

LINDSEY: Those guys were chumps.
LORNE: Now they're chunks.

Nice to see Spike appreciated for his rendition of the old ode to Cecily. I wonder if he's aware that D'Hoffryn extinguished her.

SPIKE:
"My soul is wrapped in harsh repose,
midnight descends in raven-colored clothes,
but soft...behold!
A sunlight beam
cutting a swath of glimmering gleam.
My heart expands,
'tis grown a bulge in it,
inspired by your beauty...
effulgent."

MAN IN THE AUDIENCE:
Yeah!

Angel Cliches
Subverting the Hollywood cliche; Lorne kills Lindsey, the clown becomes a tragic figure, much as in King Lear, his leaving incredibly poignant. We think Lindsey might actually be redeemed in typical Angel fashion but instead he gets two in the chest.

Lindsey getting shot in the chest is also typical Angel fashion in a way, as it subverts both clichés and expectations. This is what Angel had been doing with aplomb since season two's Reunion if not before. This was a show that was never afraid to pull the trigger (No pun intended.).
The shooting of Lindsey is very much against form for Lorne and a rather harsh and presumptive call by Angel. I don't think that Lindsey deserved this; he wasn't beyond reasoning with. Still, a good final scene for both Christian Kane and the late Andy Hallett, a remarkable performer in the role of the convivial Host, especially given his lack of prior acting experience.

Whenever I watch the last ep of Buffy I always drink a bottle of champagne at the end. Don't do that with Angel, it has a different vibe to it.
Claret, then?

Are Illyria's tears all part of her Fred illusion or are they real and for Wes?
Probably the latter to some extent, even if she didn't intend it. She does express an intention to cause violence at the end.

Here are links to hi-res and lo-res screencaps for this episode..

In retrospect, this is one of the best finales to a TV series, ending on just the right note, with Angel concluding on its own terms, in its own style and in its own right rather than just as a spin-off. Superb.

Ok, Dollhouse season 2 next
Woo-hoo!