View Single Post
Old November 1 2010, 03:30 PM   #599
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Hallowe'en Reading and Viewing, 2010!

Sever-O wrote: View Post
Been having a Horror marathon all day today, which has so far included...

The Horror of Dracula (1958)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
City of the Dead (1960)
Devil's Playground (2010)
Dead Cert (2010)
Halloween (1978)

...and I'll be finishing the night off with Black Sunday (1960), and Night of the Living Dead (1968).

Good Gawd. And I was proud of my stamina for getting through two movies in one day. Some of you people are machines! I watched "Candyman" for the first time and "Halloween" 1978 for the umpteenth time for my Halloween movie marathon. Some of the supernatural stuff in "Candyman" was a bit hokey and his costume was silly and made him hard to take seriously sometimes, but overall I thought it was a solid horror film...an increasing rarity these days. I loved the effects on Tony Todd's voice and the way the story played out with his character constantly framing Virginia Madsen's character. The score was fun too. Virginia reminded me of a young Gillian Anderson.

"Halloween" is still riveting from start to finish and I'll never get tired of it. I think it's destined to be one of my top ten favourites forever. It's a shame that it inspired so many crappy movies, but the many that have been made and the many more than will be made cannot tarnish its legacy. The score and the way that it's shot just rock my world every time. The thrill of the opening sequence, the asylum escape, and the Michael Myers stalking scenes never wears off. The only thing that bothered me this time was I wished Donald Pleasance had more to do. He played such a great character and spent most of the movie waiting off screen, but that's okay, because all that time we're not seeing him, we're with characters who are almost as entertaining to watch.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote