View Single Post
Old November 1 2010, 06:14 AM   #85
SRFX
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

TATTOO - 2x09 - 2/5

Okay, so it's good that Chakotay is getting some character development. I like this, and for the most part I really like seeing his relationship with his father as a teen, and the regret he feels for being so ignorant.

But the way they go about providing backstory and not to mention completely re-writing native American cultural history is just bizarre at best; offensive at worst. I guess I am not really in a position to comment on this, but I try to put myself in the same situation, and pretend that Star Trek is telling me that my cultural heritage was just given to my ancestors by space aliens and not learned or developed through our own ingenuity and imagination because we were too dumb to evolve by ourselves.

There are some nice touches in this episode, like the Doctor getting the flu (Picardo is superb as always) and Voyager falling into the eye of a cyclone was very pretty.

Overall, this is good for Chak - not so good for American Indians.

Oh and the visual of the tree falling on Chakotay is so laughably bad - 90's sci-fi is better than ham like this!
Malcolm Reed & Charles Tucker III
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote