View Single Post
Old October 27 2010, 12:47 AM   #74
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game Review thread

David Mack wrote: View Post
For anyone interested in a chance to win a free, personalized and autographed copy of Zero Sum Game, head on over to the blog of my agent, Lucienne Diver, and read my guest post, "Whom Authors Would Destroy."
Excellent.

And Mr. Mack, I agree wholeheartedly. I would say the characters a writer loves the most are also the ones said writer wants to grow. Make them face the greatest of challenges--make them search deep into their souls...and in so doing, discover what they are truly made of.

Case in point: Without giving anything away, I've been putting my beloved Ezri through a lot of emotional torment in a couple of my own fanfics. Paradoxically, my adoration for her often leads me to put her in situations that make her come pretty darn close to breaking down in tears, a la "Afterimage"....

When we see these characters face these terrible things, it increases our respect, admiration, and love for them.
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote