View Single Post
Old October 25 2010, 08:06 PM   #22
Ubik
Commodore

Re: Steven Spielberg to Direct Robopocalypse

Screecher4747 wrote: View Post
Ubik wrote: View Post
Spielberg directing a sci-fi movie? Awesome. In that genre, he's been extremely successful. How can anyone not be excited about the man who directed Close Encounters, E.T., Jurassic Park, A.I., Minority Report, and War of the Worlds....
Is why.
Hmm. Weird. As a lover of both film and science fiction, and knowing how few thoughtful science fiction films exist, I honestly believe that both A.I and Minority Report are two of the most compelling, intelligent, and layered science fiction films I've ever seen. And War of the Worlds, like Jurassic Park, is a most entertaining and terrifying bit of nonsense, which, when done well, is always welcome. Oh well. To each his own. I also believe that Munich was a masterpiece. So, when Spielberg is on, he still creates stuff as wonderful as when he was younger, as far as I'm concerned.

And true, a robot uprising hardly feels original (haven't Terminator and BSG basically covered all that?), which leads me to believe there's something different about the way this book handles it. There must be - otherwise, Spielberg would likely not have chosen to do it (he turns down easy successes like Harry Potter all the time, as a director.)
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote