72. The English Patient (A-)
73. The Town (B+)
74. The Social Network (A)
75. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (B+)
76. Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (A-)
77. RED (B+)
78. Winter's Bone (A-)
79. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (C+)

The Glee tribute episode aires on Tuesday, so I figured I should probably see the original property beforehand. This is the sort of film that's a little hard to review; it's clearly pitched as ridiculous in the spirit of the old 30s-50s schlock films, so that nothing about it makes much sense is beside the point, and better production values would harm the atmosphere. All the same, one keeps thinking that the parody could have been a lot more sophisticated; the initial pleasure in the absurdity wears off after about a half hour, and there's not much to occupy oneself with. Indeed, the first half hour has virtually everything about the film that everyone remembers (all the good songs, the iconic scenes, etc.) - I was watching with with my friend, who even said that this was only the second time she's watched it all the way through.

80. The Corpse Bride (B)

I missed this on its initial release, but my friend and I were on a pre-Halloween viewing binge. Tim Burton's ventures into stop-motion animation, actually directing instead of just being widely assumed to be the director of someone else's film, and, of course, Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are along for the ride. The animation is nicely atmospheric (albeit in the same way pretty much every Tim Burton is), and there are some good bits of humour. However, there's really not much story, and the villain's actions at the climax don't make a lick of sense (and he was barely there to begin with).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote