71. The Kids Are All Right (B+)
72. The English Patient (A-)
73. The Town (B+)
74. The Social Network (A)
75. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (B+)
76. Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (A-)
77. RED (B+)
78. Winter's Bone (A-)

This was the big find of last year's Sundance, and has generated a ton of buzz for 19-year-old Jennifer Lawrence, who may be among the year's Best Actress nominees (it's an unusually competitive field this year, so maybe not). One might call it the white trash Precious, with its teenage protagonist growing up in a deeply and historically impoverished part of the country (rural Missouri, in this case). Ree's straits aren't as dire as Precious' in a lot of ways - instead of a tyrannical mother and a rapist father, she's got a mentally ill mother who's basically another child to look after in addition to her two younger siblings, and an absentee criminal father who put their house up as bond and then went missing before trial. The movie is, I guess, a crime thriller, but there's not a whole lot of plot, per se; basically, Ree goes around asking questions and trying to find her father, dead or alive. The movie generates a surprising amount of suspense and foreboding with very little visible effort; the whole thinking is soaking in atmosphere. The resolution is an interesting combination of the depressing and the exceedingly mild light. Lawrence (who looks a lot like a young Renee Zellwegger) is getting most of the acting plaudits, but John Hawkes as her uncle is also a standout.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote