View Single Post
Old October 22 2010, 07:50 PM   #39
Rear Admiral
View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: 'Hellraiser' (2012) remake aiming for PG-13 crowd

Pingfaaaaaarrrgghh wrote: View Post
Screecher4747 wrote: View Post
It's not a romantic, light-hearted, rom-com is it?

I mean, it is horror, right? I've seen it listed as a horror movie.

(The slasher bit I'll admit to maybe being wrong on.)
Well of course it is a horror. Had you called it a horror movie I would not have disagreed, but you didn't, did you.

I'd hesitate to call Pinhead even a principle character in the first film, it's a grim tale of love, lust, greed and betrayal. Pinhead has all of a few minutes of screen time and is not essential to the underlying plot. They didn't adopt any slasher film elements until the 3rd film and did so as a result of sheer money-grabbing laziness. The rest of the films are not even worth mentioning in the same sentence as the first two.

You shouldn't let your dislike of the slasher genre stop you watching the first Hellraiser movie, it's a great film and a classic of the Horror genre as a whole.

I always loved the first Hellraiser (although I thought that shifting from Julia to Kirsty as the lead in the last third hurt the film, due to Ashley Lawrence's awful acting, in contrast to Clare Higgins' sublime performance) and the second one was almost as good, or maybe I should say, as good, if you ignore some dodgy effects. Hellraiser is the true definition of 'horror' to me (as opposed to 'terror', which is the word I'd rather use for Halloween, for instance) - the first time I watched it, I literally had to avert my eyes during some of the scenes - like Monster Frank's first appearance to Julia ("Don't look at me"): it was horrifying and creepy, and at the same time, so moving and emotional.

I can see how a remake might improve some things (like, cast a better Kirsty, and make her into a more interesting character). But remaking it as PG-13? Now that's something that horrifies me in an entirely different way.
Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote