View Single Post
Old October 18 2010, 04:26 AM   #599
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

Gul Spook wrote: View Post
Spirodopoulos is not a blind Federation citizen, who believes in its superior morality, superior right to do things and superior whatever whenever however. He can see that his Federation is not perfect and that there are Captains who make mistakes.
He has his own strong sense of right and wrong, and the Federation can't tell him what that ought to be. They're not God, even though they try to be. There are some things where they're right, and he loves his home, but he definitely has disagreements with their policies. Vehemently so. I don't know if you saw it earlier in the story, but he even disapproves of the Klingon-Federation alliance. He would never be rude to Worf if he met him, mind you--I think he would respect Worf greatly as a fellow officer and that the two of them would see eye-to-eye on a lot of things. But the Klingon Chancellor, High Council, and House leaders (aside from Worf) he would have zero respect for.

I wondered what he would tell Macet, but even if I suspected he wouldn't support Maxwell's and Picard's - especially Picard's, which are served to us with a pretence of correct and right - actions, I wouldn't have guessed that his opinion would be so harsh. "Maxwell was insane." He not only says that, he back that with arguments.
I felt that Maxwell was presented as insane. Picard didn't call him on it. I am at least willing to excuse O'Brien because he has personal issues of his own. But the difference between Maxwell and O'Brien is that O'Brien didn't go off on a little quest for vengeance, even if he DID think the "bloody Cardies" couldn't be trusted.

Maxwell could have brought a war on the Federation, but the Cardassians didn't react. I'm tired of people pointing out how bad Cardies are, they were arming, Maxwell wanted to protect the peace, blah, blah, blah.
Protect my a$$! He murdered hundreds of innocent people and Picard didn't stop him. You don't prevent a war shooting and murdering people, you start it this way. The Central Command didn't pick the bait, lucky for the Feds, and that tells me that they were not as evil, bloodthirsty warlords they are presented. Maxwell falls into that category and I'm sorry to see that Picard, and many others, seem not to see that.
Exactly! Central Command was at least pragmatic, unlike the Klingons. They knew when they couldn't afford a war. (And they were also looking at long-term political gain in the treaty.)

Picard was massively incompetent in that episode. I realize the writers probably did the "Warp Four" thing for drama, so they could get their video-game war scene, but it made him look like an absolute, total callous ass.

Loyalty and support of a man, who took lives and risked destroying many more, is misguided [irony mode] even if he is a Federation captain [/irony mode].
You can honor the memory of a person, if they weren't always that way. But it IS misguided not to do what you have to do because of it.

I think that's good Macet and Spirodopoulos cleared that between them. That conversation was very important as now they both know where they stand, what to expect from each other and that's a good step to deepening their trust.
I'm glad you liked that.