View Single Post
Old October 11 2010, 04:16 PM   #284
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Ship Polaris

Spent most of the weekend working on the Polaris' engine cowlings. These are some surprisingly complex parts with lots of weird angles and tricky relationships between surfaces. I've sketched these things out in quite a bit of detail but actually modeling them was a real pain.

Before I go any further, let me caution you all to ignore the shiny blue color on the exhaust fairings. I had been playing around with some different material properties and found the highly reflective finish useful for spotting little imperfections in the Sub-D mesh, and I simply didn't bother to change it before I rendered out the WIP images. It is rather stylish, I must say, but probably not what the end result will look like.

The only other significant addition in these renderings is the maneuvering thrusters. I also made some tweaks to the profile of the main engines but they are still mainly just placeholders at this stage. I actually removed them entirely from a couple of these latest WIPs to better show the interior of the cowlings.

Most of the complex Sub-D objects are now pretty finalized so I hope to make quicker progress from here on.