View Single Post
Old October 6 2010, 02:51 AM   #41
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

stj wrote: View Post
Lincoln's commitment to the law demanded that abolition of slavery wait until there was legal authority to do so.
Which, in practice, would certainly not have been possible in his presidency at least, and very likely his lifetime, without a civil war that forced the southern states to adopt the thirteenth amendment. Ergo, to be a legal abolitionist in any meaningful sense of the word, he would have had to have been eager to prosecute a civil war.

But, as I pointed out earlier, he wasn't:
Abraham Lincoln wrote:
If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.
Unless you believe that he'd have pushed for a war to free the slaves even if the southern states hadn't seceded (and that'd put you in an extreme if not nonexistent minority of historians), I simply can't agree that Lincoln was an abolitionist in all but heart - and that's pretty weak sauce, particularly since he publicly supported, as president, a constitutional amendment to permanently protect slavery in the southern states.

stj wrote: View Post
Lincoln was an abolitionist, a quite determined one.
Sorry, no.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote