View Single Post
Old October 5 2010, 03:08 PM   #13
Praxius
Captain

Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

gomtuu20 wrote: View Post
Why do non-fans think we believe Star Trek is real? I don't understand that. When I was in Junior High School I had a couple of Star Trek iron-on T-shirts; one that said "How's your Tribble" with a picture of a tribble and another that said "Klingon Power" with a picture of the Klingon ship. I actually had other kids going around saying that I thought Star Trek was real. While I thoroughly love the "Galaxy Quest" movie, one of the plot lines in the movie is an example of this myth. It's just one of those things that I have always found strange. What are your thougts?
It's because Star Wars fans think their movies are real, they decided to form up a religion...... they in turn think that Star Trek fans are the same, especially since klingon dictionaries exist..... only star trek fans are nerdier because there's no light sabers and evil Vader.

mythme wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
It's the ones who think warp drive engines are a possibility that make me wonder about their sanity.
Doesn't Stephen Hawking think they are a possibility?
I don't think it was him.... he just believes we should never contact any aliens because he believes they'll only be out to kill us all and rape our planet of its resources.

I believe it was in Shatner's documentary "How William Shatner Changed the World" ~ Where they interviewed some wiz who actually said faster then light speed is theoretically possible, based on moving space around the ship, rather then moving the ship through space..... which I believe Scotty touched on in Star Trek 2009 when he was trying to figure out how to transport at warp speed.

The conclusion was that because space was moving around the ship and not the ship moving through space, that there'd be no issues with mass and speed, etc. that originally restricted the concept of faster then light speed.

The only problem is that it takes a tremendous amount of energy to move space.... which the dilithium crystals exist to fill in that gap..... but technically speaking, if one could produce enough energy, one could produce warp speed.

Last edited by Praxius; October 5 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote