View Single Post
Old October 2 2010, 08:13 PM   #13
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: "Let Me In" - Discussion & Grading

I just got home from seeing it at a before noon matinee. Oklahoma City is like a ghost town; everyone must have driven to Dallas. Why are there spoiler boxes in a discussion and grading thread?

SPOILER SPACE:

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
//
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
I loved it, but I don't expect it to perform well at the box office. Considering the rave advance reviews, I'm surprised it didn't have a better opening weekend. Could the massive flooding and problems in the (densely populated) northeast have contributed to the poor showing?

Very, VERY well made movie that a lot of people won't "get" or appreciate. The movie isn't a vampire flick. It's a seduction of an alienated boy not old enough to know better into giving up his life.....as no doubt countless others before him had done. They grow up, they can't have sex with her anymore (or do they?), they're complicit in several murders by the time they're old enough to know better. Who would believe them? They can't go to police and they're too in love with her as a child--then they want to protect her--all very murky and vague. Owen "let her in" to his life and his soul. How long could he love her as a contemporary after he matured physically? What a fate.

Abby may have had genuine feelings for some of her protectors, but count me in as thinking the whole routine was manipulation from the get go. She tells him they "can't be friends" but she was the one who showed up outside at the jungle gym in the courtyard, in the snow, no shoes. You feel sorry for a little girl (prepubescent girl) with no shoes. She finally leaves (out of guilt) but conveniently shows up to save his life? That instills indebtedness in him, and then she has him hooked.

Who knows how long she's been doing it? I can't believe I didn't immediately grasp that the dorky little boy in glasses in the photos with her was her first protector. I think it was a good idea that this was set in 1983. Was the original made in that year? Methinks this scenario wouldn't play as well in the digital age. Harder to go from place to place murdering when there's an internet data base to track you, and Owen seems too "innocent" for this age.

I wonder who originally made little Abby into a beast.

Grade: A
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote