View Single Post
Old October 1 2010, 06:08 AM   #7
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Re: "Let Me In" - Discussion & Grading

Here's some critics' reviews, if anyone's interested.

First the good ones:

Reeves understands what made the first film so eerie and effective, and here the same things work again. -Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times
This is more than a respectful remake; Let Me In is quietly stylish and thoroughly chilling in its own right. -Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal
Reeves hasn't just remade the Swedish cult vampire film Let the Right One In into a more fluid and visceral movie. He's made it more dangerous. -Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly
While all that is artful about Let Me In comes straight from the original, the Hollywood version commands respect for not dumbing things down. -Peter Debruge, Variety
And some not-so-favorable ones:

Itís an honorable attempt, but thereís still no genuine need for this film to exist. -Ty Burr, Boston Globe
Thereís a human tragedy somewhere here -- but aggrandized puppy-love romance and stylish revenge fantasy is all that lingers. -Nick Pinkerton, Village Voice
The language has been changed to English, of course, which is the only real reason this movie exists; the story development, desolate tone, and key set pieces are mostly copied from the original movie. J.R. Jones, Chicago Reader
Of course, we can't forget the most important review of all:

Children should not be exposed to this lurid display of helplessness and pessimism -- and adult viewers should be wary of the nihilistic indulgence. -Armond White, New York Press

It currently has an 82% rating at Rotten Tomatoes.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote