View Single Post
Old September 28 2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Shaping a Cardassian - Among the Dragons

Hmm...I don't know how I would have reacted if I were in Kapoor's position. Obviously it would have been clear to me that Karama was reacting to being insulted, not that he really intended to do anything--that said, it was very nasty. And it was not helping that other crew members were laughing...I mean, that could easily give the impression, correct or not, that they would condone the behavior whether or not it was a joke. That said, what she just yelled out in the mess hall is probably going to make it VERY clear what the real situation was, and turn the Cardassian crew against her.

Watching Kapoor learn how to behave in Cardassian society is really fascinating! Your description of the body language as various people come onto the bridge was fascinating. I wonder, though...do you believe some of it is natural Cardassian instincts as well as culture? If that's the case, do you think she'll be able to compensate for not having those instincts? I'm glad, at least, to see that Zamarran recognizes that she's trying, even if the results are funny sometimes. (Think maybe some paternal instinct will kick in and he'll feel like he can play a part in her "upbringing"? )