View Single Post
Old September 27 2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

Wow, that was as intense as I'd hoped. They sure upped the stakes further than I would have guessed with Dexter acting so damn guilty and drawing suspicion upon himself, and then him murdering that jackass in the bathroom, which is the most off-the-Code thing he's done so far.

We shouldn't overlook the gravity of that event. Until now, his worst offenses have been a) killing a pedophile who arguably wasn't an ongoing threat; b) killing a guy in self-defense in a situation that wouldn't have happened if Dexter hadn't been stalking someone else and c) killing an innocent photographer who he decided was guilty mainly because he just didn't like the guy.

But this wasn't a borderline case or an accident. Dexter deliberately murdered someone who he had no reason to suspect of anything more sinister than a bad personality. Even worse, it happened as a result of an emotional outburst, which he took as a sign of that he should return to his family?!? That's some disturbingly skewed logic. To become human is to become a threat to everyone around him. It doesn't look like the writers have forgotten the core logic of this premise, even if Dexter is now on a dangerous and delusional path.

I've been hoping for a happy ending for Dex after this season or the next, when I figure they need to end the series. But if this is an indication of things to come, the writers might plan to have Dexter spiral so far out of control that nothing but a tragic ending is plausible.

I have a feeling this is going to be one amazing season.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote