View Single Post
Old September 26 2010, 10:11 AM   #32
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: 1931 Frankenstein....

Warped9 wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I love all the old Universal Monster movies, even the later not-so-great ones. My favorite is Wolf Man. Larry Talbot is such a tragic character and Lon Chaney Jr is amazing in the role.
I'm looking forward to this one. I've got it on order.

I like quite a few older films. I don't judge them strictly by current standards, but more what it seems they were trying to achieve. And some of them still work well even by today's standards. I also like to see things as they began and before they became cliches.
Standards were no different back then; only technology was different (and styles, of course, but style is style-- neither superior nor inferior). In fact, since the lack of technology required that more effort be put into artistry, an argument could be made that movies of that era are superior to what we have now.

Kelso wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I love all the old Universal Monster movies, even the later not-so-great ones.
Agreed!

I go through my Universal Monster Legacy set at least once per year.
I have those sets, too. I love them.

HunterB5446 wrote: View Post
I love those old movies, they are great. I haven't watched them since I was a kid, but I do have to admit they are not easy to watch sometimes. They are clasic for a reason, but I prefer my blood and guts movies. I grew up with Jason; Freddy and Mike, but I have a ton of respect for those older movies. It's not their fault visual effects sucked back then.
Visual effects did not suck back then. As I mentioned above, the artistry was amazing. Frankenstein does not suffer for lack of CGI any more than van Gogh suffered for lack of Photoshop.