View Single Post
Old September 25 2010, 06:22 AM   #713
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Saw Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, for which I would give about *** stars. It isn't as original or as affective as the first movie, and similarly follows the same structure as the first film, but it does have a lot of contemporaneously and socially relevant ideas that make it a very interesting and thought-provocative film.

It was the first film in a while where I could actually tolerate Shia LaBeouf, which is pretty impressive in my opinion. The rest of the cast is top notch, and Michael Douglas imbues Gordon Gekko with a more worn, tattered, softer side that gives the character a different but compelling edge that makes everything watchable even if you can telegraph the entire plot, especially Gekko's motivations (if you've seen the first film, you'll be able to understand what happens pretty clearly from the onset). Josh Brolin, Carey Mulligan and Frank Langella all give strong performances in their supporting roles.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps doesn't really add anything new to the conceit of the original film, if anything slightly regurgitating many of the concepts, but the stock market crash does give the film a modern twist that offers some interesting ideas. It's one of those solid films that doesn't even reach the heights of its predecessor but is an entertaining and occasionally insightful diversion for two hours.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote