View Single Post
Old September 20 2010, 04:45 PM   #706
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Harvey,

To quote Roger Ebert (to his colleague Richard Roeper): "How can your heart be so cold?" I've suspected this about you for awhile based on your reviews and this just confirms it - you're like Spock. You have to attack everything with such relentless logic and rationality, I can't imagine anything winning you over based on heart. I felt this way after your objection to the end of "Kramer vs. Kramer" too.

"Say Anything..." is my second favourite movie, and one of the reasons is because it's one of the few movies where the amount of heart on display is strong enough to cancel out any possible objections I might have to its structure, storytelling, writing, etc. based on a coldly rational approach.

Now that I've seen it about a million times, I've got to the point where I'm starting to feel like the big reveal in the father subplot feels a little shoehorned in. You can't watch a movie that many times without being a bit analytical, but with the rest of the movie being the backdrop for one of the greatest love stories ever put to film, who cares? And trust me, I'm not being hyperbolic out of ignorance. I've seen 'em all.

Calling it marginally better than the awful and overrated "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" bums me out, man. I think it's worlds better. I'm starting to think teen movies just aren't your bag. Just out of curiosity, have you ever seen a movie about teenagers that has really impressed you? If so, what would you consider your high water mark for that kind of movie? Personally, I don't think there are many better than "Say Anything...".
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote