Old September 19 2010, 12:28 AM   #701
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

70. The American (B+)
71. The Kids Are All Right (B+)
72. The English Patient (A-)
73. The Town (B+)

Ben Affleck initiates phase two of Operation: Relegitimize, and scores another success. I didn't think this was quite as good as Gone Baby, Gone - it's a bit more conventional than that film, about a criminal born into an organization and looking for an exit. Nevertheless, it's a strong piece of filmmaking, and should cement Affleck as a talent to watch. The main cast (Affleck, Jeremy Renner, John Hamm, Rebecca Hall, Blake Lively) are all in good form; Renner's a livewire, and this is Hamm's first really notable bigscreen role since the launch of Mad Men, so I hope for many more (here he's playing the straight-arrow guy that Don Draper resembles but isn't). Lively's work is also notable, since her work on Gossip Girl isn't exactly award-worthy - she even manages a reasonably convincing Baaahston accent, which is something that can trip up even great thespians. Some very good car chases and shootouts.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote