View Single Post
Old September 18 2010, 04:51 PM   #27
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Devil - Grading & Discussion

Like most of Shyamalan's movies, Devil has a lot of suspense and build-up and you feel like you really want the movie to get to it's point. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it just is what it is. I guess that's the nature of suspense thrillers, but you especially feel that way with this movie. Devil is also similar to Lady in the Water in that there's a character (a religious security guard) who knows the legend of the devil and helps both the characters and the audience with what's going on and what to expect. This time though, the characters start off dismissing this "religious nut" and what he has to offer. I won't say how the movie ends, but I liked it. It felt somewhat rushed and glossed over, but I liked it. Felt like a Twilight Zone episode with a moral at the end. I couldn't decide between 'average' and 'above avarage'. I think I'll go with 'above average' for its engaging story, decent ending and good performances from no-name actors.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Are people actually going to bother seeing this?
I did and I was very much looking forward to it.

Shurik wrote: View Post
So, due his recent string of successes, M. Night had enough budget only to film in an elevator?
It takes place in and around a building in Philadelphia. Even if it did take place in just an elevator, it still might have been interesting. Cube, Phone Booth and an episode of Babylon 5 pulled off the "all in one room" thing quite well. There's also an upcoming movie with Ryan Reynolds called Burried and from what I've read, the whole thing takes place in a coffin.

Ethros wrote: View Post
It's only produced by MNS.
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's worth repeating that M.Night had almost nothing to do with this movie. All he did was come up with the story. He pretty much said, "I've got a story about people trapped in an elevator, one of them might be the Devil." Then someone else produced it, someone else wrote the screenplay and someone else directed it.
It still looks and feels very much like something written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan himself.

And about Signs, it, like most of Shyamalan's movies, has problems with logic (aliens harmed by water), but it did extremely well at portraying an alien invasion from the perspective of a regular family with the right mood to go with it.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote