View Single Post
Old September 17 2010, 10:56 PM   #700
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

I wasn't a big fan of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". I love a good teen movie, but I find that one way overrated. Sean Penn and Judge Reinhold's characters are funny, but the rest of it was just too ugly and dull. I think "Clueless", by the same director, is a much better movie. It's less serious and more shallow...but it's also much more entertaining and has better characters.

I finally got around to seeing "Avatar". Being a guy who has always valued story and characters over visual inventiveness, I expected to hate it, but I was pleasantly surprised by the first half. I found it enjoyable enough for awhile...it was one of the rare occasions when the beauty of the visuals was enough to keep me interested even if the characters and story didn't do much for me.

Once the military started shooting and bombing the shit out of Pandora, however, I got bored. It was at this point the obviousness of the cliche message and villainous characters started getting on my nerves. It ended nicely, but in between the beginning and end, there was way too much grating moralizing and stock characters.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote