View Single Post
Old September 17 2010, 09:49 AM   #699
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

stj wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
202. The only real misstep would be the sequence where Jennifer Jason Leigh strolls out of an abortion clinic after terminating a pregnancy and drives off with her older brother to have some fast food. Yeah, right.
I haven't seen the movie since it came out and it didn't impress me then. But in what way is this a misstep?
It's ridiculous? She strolls out of the clinic at most an hour or two after the operation (and more likely right after) acting like she had a hang nail removed. The nurse lets her go without a ride. I'm not debating the film's choice to portray Leigh's character as perfectly happy to terminate her pregnancy (she's 15 and the teenager who knocks her up neither coughs up the money for the procedure nor shows up for it), but it sure doesn't wash to have her stroll out of the clinic and get a burger.

To be honest, as to the film as a whole, it's probably more entertaining now than it was thirty years ago, considering how many (now) famous actors it has in bit parts. But, like the similar Dazed and Confused, it's simply light fare in the final analysis.

203. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock [B+]
204. Inglourious Basterds [A]
205. Primer [A]
206. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home [A-]

A handful of movies I've seen before. I'll skip the Star Trek films, which are discussed ad naseum elsewhere. Primer is terrific, if inscrutable, even after multiple viewings. I'm still not sure what happens in the last act, and the first act is filled with so much technical jargon that it's a miracle the film is so engaging. But, somehow, it is. Inglourious Basterds has me wishing Quentin Tarantino used a spell checker when coming up with the title (). It also has me wondering where Himmler is the entire film, but I suppose my WWII history isn't as sharp as it used to be.
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote