View Single Post
Old September 14 2010, 11:11 PM   #50
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Which actor looks the most like Superman to you?

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I'll be the first person to vote for Gerard Christopher (Superboy, 1989-1992) - never heard of the guy, but going strictly on looks, he's got a slightly exotic look that synchs well with the idea that Supes is, after all, an alien. Dean Cain and Tom Welling also come close.

I think of Supes as looking clean-cut, not "all American" as a euphemism for Anglo. He's an alien!!!
I'd be fine with Superman having a more exotic appearance if we didn't have 70+ years of comics showing the contrary.
Comic characters are vague enough that we can all fill in the details we like. To me, Supes is an alien and he should look it, at least a little bit. Cain may look too exotic, Welling too little, so I went with Christopher.
Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly does a human "look like an alien"?

And what does a so-called "exotic" look have to do with it? What does "exotic" even mean? Non-white? Non-European? Non-Anglo-Saxon? And how does looking like that help an actor seem more like an extra-terrestrial? Do people from other parts of the world seem less human?

To me, all of the guys above look equally human - and I'm afraid that any other human actor they hire is going to look human, whether he's "exotic" in someone's eyes or not.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote