View Single Post
Old September 13 2010, 12:25 AM   #32
Pilot Ace
Captain

Re: Nikita: "Pilot" - Sept. 9 on The CW - Grading & Discussion

Christopher wrote: View Post
I did when I thought the casting process was unfairly biased in favor of white actors. I later learned those fears were unfounded, that actors of all ethnicities were fairly considered for all roles, and accepted the rationale that casting the right actor regardless of ethnicity was the most important thing. After all, it wasn't trying to be the same reality, but a different interpretation of the premise. This show is the same way.

And I'd say the changes from Anne Parillaud to Bridget Fonda to Peta Wilson are considerable. It's not like they were all alike by any means. One was Francophone, the others Anglophone. One was black-haired, one red-haired, one blonde. Parillaud and Fonda are 5'6", Wilson is 5'10". Parillaud has a slim figure, Wilson is rather curvaceous, Fonda is in between. Three very different women.

As for Maggie Q, she's the same height as Parillaud and Fonda, has black hair like Parillaud, has long hair like Wilson did as Nikita, is Anglophone like Fonda and Wilson, and has a slim figure like Parillaud. She's worked as a model like Wilson and (recently) Fonda. She even has the same first name as Fonda's character in Point of No Return. So she has similarities to all the others, just as all the others have differences from one another. Ethnicity is just one ingredient in the mix, and I don't think it outweighs the rest.
I just calls 'em how I sees 'em.

Going from Caucasian to Asian is more of a visual jump than the three previous actors. I think most without an over-the-top PC agenda would agree.

Did the three women before Maggie Q look like triplets? No, I'm not making that argument. If someone lined them up and told me to pick the most visually distinct form the others? I'd pick Maggie Q.

I don't discriminate based on ethnicities, but I also don't ignore the differences. That's silly.

A couple of the visual factors you've brought up are effectively non-issues.

• For one, height doesn't come across on TV or film very well and I might barely notice 4 inches in real life especially considering how much footwear can factor into it.
  • Hair and hairstyles are variable for everyone, people constantly cut and dye them all the time. In the original television show Nikita even wore wigs from time to time.
  • The way figures look are impacted by clothes people wear and food intake. A person's figure can change throughout their life.

But, again, it's not a detractor from the show. I think the person chosen to play the character is the detractor at least as far as I've seen her work so far--her lack of ability to keep my attention was the reason for all of this.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote