View Single Post
Old September 12 2010, 07:33 PM   #685
Vice Admiral
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I just saw The Fountain with Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz. I like both actors and have enjoyed other films from director Darren Aronofsky but this movie is bad.
Where do I go to get my 1.5hrs of time back?
Oh, that's one of my favorite movies of all time.

It's on.
I felt it was as convoluted a way of delivering a message about the timelessness of love that I've seen to date. I don't even feel like it adequately explained how Tommy(Hugh) was actually all 3 versions of himself, let alone Izzi.
I liked The Wrestler and want to see Black Swan but The Fountain just didn't click with me.
In my interpretation, the other versions were fabrications thought up by Tommy and Izzy. The Spaniard quest for the fountain was youth was Izzy's story and the futuristic element was Tommy's way of ending that story after Izzy died. It was, in a purely thematically metaphorical sense, a visualization of Tommy's grief and overcoming or coming to terms with that grief.

However, I can understand how the film isn't for everyone. A lot of people want literal or definitive explanations of things and The Fountain is an extremely non-literal, visual film that offers no definitive explanations and instead gives the audience an ambiguous, thought-provoking story that forces an audience to formulate their own conclusions based on what they've seen.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote