View Single Post
Old September 11 2010, 07:59 AM   #228
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

View DakotaSmith's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to DakotaSmith Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DakotaSmith Send a message via Yahoo to DakotaSmith
Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

Mytran wrote: View Post
I tend to agree that MJ designed the action to be going on the nacelles. However, certain episodes (such as That Which Survives) clearly point to a single area of reaction between matter and antimatter.
Well, in all honesty, when I was first watching Star Trek in the 1970s, I always assumed that the scene in question might have been the only time we actually saw something going on up in the nacelles. Or that Scotty was at some access point near or adjacent to them. There was probably no real reason to assume that, but for purposes of justification, one could make the case.

Mytran wrote: View Post
In a MJ-nacelle style setup though, I believe that the ship could enter Warp even with the lithium crystal circuits all blown. However, since things like inertial dampeners and deflectors would be unpowered at this point, you really wouldn't want to!
Well, I should be clear that I'm not entirely certain what MJ would have thought of the "dilithium crystals == transformers" idea. As far as I know, that's just something that's been kicked around fandom over the years.

However, it seems to me that all the visuals about MJ's general intent are clear. His statements and records are pretty consistent. All the action was in the nacelles, and the Engine Room was for power distribution, ships systems support, and engine controls. T'weren't no antimatter in the crew-accessible parts of the ship.

Dakota Smith

DakotaSmith is offline   Reply With Quote