Old September 10 2010, 08:26 PM   #19
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Halo: Reach

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
FordSVT wrote: View Post
-Brett- wrote: View Post
The multiplayer beta was fun. Otherwise I wouldn't be giving it a second thought. Not after ODST.
I don't think that's fair, ODST wasn't a bad game at all, it just didn't feel the same without Master Chief, and it was short.
ODST was awesome. It was great because it wasn't about the MC and Cortana. It was great because the Halo universe is great. (I hope 343 Studios will deliver more games that feature new perspectives on the Halo lore by the way.)

I haven't had this much fun gameplay-wise since the original Halo. Don't get me wrong, I had fun in H2 and H3, but the mechanics just couldn't live up to the original (*cough* pistol *cough*). ODST was a step in the right direction. From what I've seen so far, Reach will take it one, maybe two steps further in that direction. Not to mention a couple of nice innovations and improvements.

Also, it basically had the entire cast of Firefly
Agreed. Plus on a simple thematic level, I know the extermination of your race is a big deal, but ODST's story, especially with you wandering the streets in the rain at night really made it feel personal. Add to that the audio logs and you had one hellova poignant story which put a less grand spin on the franchise but managed to maintain a sense of urgency and drama previous Halo games failed to achieve.

Plus like you said, its the closest we'll ever get to a proper Firefly game, so that's also a big plus. I hear Buck is back in Reach in some form, so I look forward to that.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote