View Single Post
Old September 10 2010, 03:19 AM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Re: Nikita: "Pilot" - Sept. 9 on The CW - Grading & Discussion

scotpens wrote: View Post
I'm leery of any show starring an actress with a letter instead of a last name.
Her last name is Quigley, if it makes you feel any better. She's a Hawaiian-born actress/model who became a major star in Hong Kong martial arts films after being discovered and trained by Jackie Chan himself. According to her Wikipedia page, "The Hong Kong newspaper, Apple Daily, dubbed her Maggie Q and she decided to keep the name for easier pronunciation by Chinese audiences." Here's a nice article about her from a couple of weeks ago:

http://nymag.com/guides/fallpreview/2010/tv/67614/

I am not a fan of stories involving assassins, and I never had an interest in the prior incarnations of the Nikita concept. But I watched this for Maggie Q, who is a striking and captivating woman. And this show certainly plays that up. Between this and Mission: Impossible III, it's clear that Ms. Q has a very beneficial relationship with the color red.

A lot of striking women on this show, in fact. Lyndsy Fonseca is rather lovely too, as was the actress playing Jaden, the other female trainee.

Story-wise, I like the idea that the protagonist is out of the organization and working to bring it down, and is trying to save lives and minimize her use of deadly force, at least. Still, she inflicted too many casualties for my taste, even if it was in self-defense. Too much killing overall for my taste, so I don't know if the lovely ladies will be enough incentive to keep watching.

I didn't see the final twist coming; I probably read about it online but forgot it. I remembered that Nikita would have some kind of relationship with the young recruit, but I figured it would form afterward; I didn't anticipate that Alex was a mole she planted deliberately.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote