View Single Post
Old September 6 2010, 07:03 PM   #52
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Fallout: New Vegas

Servo wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
Yeah, the only thing 3rd person is good for is for something interesting to look at while travelling and perhaps judging the odd jump. Combat is difficult at best while looting is impossible. Indeed, just walking around indoors in 3rd person is really awkward.
So stay in first-person view then. It's not like the game forces you to use third-person at any point. Not really seeing the problem here.
When I played F3, I used third-person while travelling, and switched to first-person whilst looting/exploring buildings or in a firefight. Never had any problems.
I do. If you bothered to read what I was responding to you'd know the intended context of that statement.

From all accounts New Vegas uses the exact same engine as FO3 with little if any modifications. Most of what they've changed has more to do with stats than the nuts and bolts of the gameplay. Part of why I'm not too enthused with it. I'd rather wait until this one is in the bargain bin or steam sale since (as good as FO3 was) I rather hoped they'd taken the time to fix that stiff clunkyness that it had inherited from Oblivion. Not just the animation but there was something weird about how the guns fired, especially the automatic weapons. Like a delay before firing and an irregular firing pattern that always sounded too...slow? Oh and I never got the hang of melee combat, so you can imagine how well I'm getting on with Oblivion!
Unless you're privvy to some inside information that the rest of us aren't, I'd question your assertion that they're using the same engine with "little if any modifications".
It's not an assertion so much as a supposition and it's based on the footage they've released. I'm sure they've done some work on it but by all accounts, at it's core it still has a lot of the same weird, awkward stiffness. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, like Bethesda games typically do...until a character starts running and it's almost like watching a Gerry Anderson show.

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
I'm sure Bethesda has done some debugging with their engine, I hope this will be the last we see of flying Deathclaws, spawn glitches, and charater model stretching
No doubt, but it wasn't the general buggyness that I was talking about (which wasn't all that bad on it's own, IMO.) As I said above, it's the sort of stiff, almost puppet like character animation combined with an ever-so-slightly but still perceptible un-responsivness (is that a word? It is now!)

Last edited by Reverend; September 7 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote