View Single Post
Old September 6 2010, 06:37 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

Re: Who would you cast for an imaginary TNG Reboot

Analog Kid wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, that doesn't really follow, because if we're recasting the roles, we don't know what this version of Beverly would look like.
The person who recast Troi based their choice on her similarity to Marina Sirtis, so I thought we were going for people who'd be at least reminiscent of the original cast.
Yes, I know, because I was that person. But that was just an initial impulse and I'm willing to reconsider it.

I guess it depends on what you're going for. If the goal is an Abrams-style reboot where they're presumed to be the same individuals in a variant branch of the same reality, then naturally you'd be going for physical resemblance. But if it's the kind of reboot where you just completely start over from scratch and divorce yourself from prior continuity -- which is implicit in the suggestion of turning Wesley back into the girl he was originally supposed to be -- then there'd be no obligation to have the characters look similar any more than there was in Galactica or, say, the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 with Denzel Washington in the Walter Matthau role. Frankly I wouldn't mind a little more ethnic and gender diversity in the TNG cast. It didn't quite live up to the original intentions in that regard.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote