View Single Post
Old September 4 2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: AVATAR TREATMENT FOR REBOOT KLINGONS

THEY DID SOMETHING LIKE THIS IN THE SECOND SEASON OF BUCK ROGERS WHEN THEY INTRODUCED THE CHARACTER "HAWK" AND HAD HIM CRIPPLE ENEMY SHIPS BY GRIPPING THEM--

Oh dear, sorry about that. Not only is PKTrekGirl right that all-caps is generally perceived as shouting, but, more importantly, it's hard to read. A traditional mix of upper and lower case characters makes it much easier for the reader to gauge where ideas start and stop and allows you to express yourself better. Siskoone, break yourself of the uppercase habit immediately -- you're compromising the very ideas you want to share. People will not only turn away from poorly expressed ideas without entertaining them (a common problem here at TrekBBS to begin with), but they'll also assume unpleasant things about your intellect as well.

Anyway, that does nothing to address your idea. As I started to say, there was a character in the second season of Buck Rogers who attacked other spacecraft in almost exactly the manner you describe. Admittedly, it could be rendered much more believably today then back in the early 1980s.

I'm not a big fan of the idea, though, because it introduces a lot of stress to the ship that physically engages, too. More than likely, the claws and talons would tear and twist off and cause structural damage to the attacking ship ... and that's assuming such a ship could even get close enough to attack, having to charge in through phaser and photo torpedo attacks and then breach shields before finally reaching the hull.

But I love the idea of bigger Klingons. Several years ago, I began putting together notes for a revamped Star Trek idea that included newer ideas in science and science fiction. I changed the Vulcans and Andorians in subtle ways, added a post-singularity culture to humanity, and made the Klingons enormous beasts, much as you describe, ruled by intelligent parasites that attached themselves to the backs of the beasts. Klingons don't retreat because that would expose the parasites.

In summary, I love the idea of rendering all the aliens of Star Trek recognizable, but even more ... alien.