Old August 31 2010, 04:53 PM   #197
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Re: Angel ep by ep; rewatch and reviews

Mal wrote: View Post
saturn5 wrote: View Post
COUPLET

Missing scenes
Legend has it there was supposed to be a scene where Angel comes across Kate Lochley working as a whore at the brothel (saving up for her new identity as an assistant DA in New York?) but much like the guy chained to the wall she declines to be 'rescued'. You know what they say about hookers/strippers and their daddy issues? Personally I think that sounds more like wishful thinking for some folks at the old Bronze forum, much like the Dr Who 'Amy Pond kissogram/stripper?' debate, I couldn't imagine Elizabeth Rohm coming back from L&O to film it.
Aside from the casting issues, why doesn't Angel ever check up on Kate, the way he does with Faith?

You'd think that after you saved someone's life by entering their home uninvited, such a miracle might, I don't know, tell you that you two should probably keep in touch? Even an off-screen "oh, I'm 10 minutes late cause I just swung by to check up on Kate," would have been fine. Angel handles so many of his off-screen Buffy adventures that way.

But we never hear a peep about Kate again. Lilah mentions Lindsey every now and then. Even poor Doyle gets a shout out from time to time. Why no love for Kate?

Personally I think it's simply that Kate has such a nice send off, she's no longer part of the fight. Until season 6 of course

LOYALTY
The Good;
Really is Wes' ep and he's put through the wringer here. Or so we think, it's nothing compared to what he's going to face...

The Bad;
Holtz's spy seems to learn a lot about AI very quickly. Why doesn't Holtz just continue to work with Sahjhan? How can Lilah be so confident in betraying WR&H, what about the mindreaders? Or do they not apply over a certain level of promotion?

Best line:
Gunn; (of ice hockey) "You do realise this is the whitest sport known to man?" (obviously never seen synchronised swimming)

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches

Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
We think Holtz will possibly kill Aubrey for failing him but again he shows great understanding. It's no wonder he commands respect amongst his people so easily (a mirror image of Wes in command?)

In disguise; 8

DB get's his shirt off; 12

Cordy's tatt; 10 no because no Cordy at all for the first time in 3 seasons

Cheap Angel; 9

Fang Gang in bondage:
Cordy: 5
Angel: 11
Wes: 6
Gunn; 4
Lorne; 3
Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out:
Cordy: 11
Angel: 14
Wes: 5
Doyle; 1
Gunn; 1
Lorne; 3

Kills: 2 vamps for Gunn and Fred nails her first
Cordy: 5 vamps, 3 demons
Angel; 39 vamps, 55 and 1/2 demons, 7 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 12 demons+3 vamps, 2 humans
Kate; 3 vamps
Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
Gunn; 10 vamps+ 9 demons.
Groo; 1 demon
Fred; 1 vamp

Fang Gang go evil:
Cordy: 2
Angel: 2
Gunn; 1
Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
Cordy: 2
Angel: 8

Characters killed:

Recurring characters killed;
8;

Total number of Angel Investigations:
7, Angel, Cordy, Wes, Gunn, Fred, Lorne and Groo

Angel Investigations shot:
Angel: 11
Wes; 1

Packing heat;
Wes; 5
Doyle; 1
Angel; 1
Gunn; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: Going to add Groo to CC's list and Fred and Gunn to each other
Cordy: 4 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo
Angel: 5; Buffy, Darla and The Transcending Furies
Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde
Gunn; 1 Fred
Fred; 1 Gunn
Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
Lilah turns a guy down at the bar.

Captain Subtext;
Wes and Angel really like a gay couple now.

Know the face, different character; 4

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Buffy characters on Angel; 16
Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony

Questions and observations;
Gunn empathises with Audrey after she talks of killing her son. So does Angel but his words have extra resonance for Wes. Holtz actually shows considerable understanding of AI and Angel also observes that he considers Holtz a good man and justified in his need for vengence.
Lilah talking to her mum is heartbreaking. A staple of fanfic is that no matter what goes wrong for AI Lilah's mum dies and without the need to support her any more she decides to switch sides and help the good guys. How do they twig Aubrey? Has Lorne told them that Holtz is recruiting people like her? Or did Angel's vamp senses simply smell Holtz's scent off her? All the stuff between Lilah and Sahjhan is hilarious. Angel memorised CC's credit card number but in fairness he has given her a big roll of cash for her holiday.
Marks out of 10; 7/10
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote