View Single Post
Old August 30 2010, 10:27 AM   #523
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

Level 2 Diagnostic wrote: View Post
You do know he didn't invest his own money in the film, right? He took a percentage of the gross, so if the movie bombed it wouldn't have cost him jack.
No, but he wouldn't have made anything, or very little at all. I think the whole point is that verses walking away with a big payday, he had faith in the film and in Nolan and instead decided to take a percentage of the gross. That's the telling part which makes it cool in my opinion. It means he had faith in Nolan to deliver a good product and Nolan delivered.

So, what you're saying is, if Inception bombed, DiCaprio might have gone back to doing the same thing he's been doing for the last ten years? Pretty ballsy move on his part.
I'm saying, had Inception bombed, DiCaprio might not have the opportunity again to do big, smart movies like Inception or even Shutter Island, which was also a good success for both DiCaprio and Scorsese. Having DiCaprio in these decently budgeted, smart, high-caliber films bodes well for the industry in my opinion and I think if DiCaprio is a proven commodity in that regard, then it just instills faith in studios to do more movies like Inception and Shutter Island which as a movie fan is very encouraging in my opinion.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote