View Single Post
Old August 28 2010, 09:59 AM   #39
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: AMC's 'The Walking Dead' Trailer (Frank Darabont, Gale Anne Hurd)

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
These are Horror Movies. If one wants to include the soul in the equation, it would be much more horrible to think an innocent person is tethered to these monsters and must uncontrollably take part in the violence, death and cannibalism.
Oh, I can accept that, but if they have no control over what's going on, then that doesn't explain where the apparent memory and higher functions come from in some of the zombies. It seems contradictory to imagine a soul tethered to the body and unable to act, and simultaneously the body acting on its own due to imprinted memory.
Not really. Just think of the soul as the equivalent of paralyzed-- or in the grip of a slow seizure. There's consciousness, but no bodily control. Except, perhaps, with extreme effort....

Harvey wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
In Day Of The Dead, one of the scientists experimented on a Zombie-- "Bubba" or something, his name was-- and found evidence of consciousness. I'm not sure if this was ever followed up. I must catch up on the Romero movies.
The zombie's name was "Bub," and it's followed up with "Land of the Dead."
How did they follow it up in Land Of The Dead?

"Diary of the Dead" and "Survival of the Dead" take place during "Night of the Living Dead" and "Dawn of the Dead," more or less, so they have less to do with zombie intelligence. And the most recent one is pretty terrible.
That's interesting. I had no idea those movies were set during previous continuity. That makes me more curious to see them. My idea for a Dawn Of The Dead TV anthology, mentioned earlier, would have pretty much done that.