View Single Post
Old August 27 2010, 04:10 PM   #26
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: AMC's 'The Walking Dead' Trailer (Frank Darabont, Gale Anne Hurd)

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Do you believe that the zombies we typically see onscreen are still conscious?
I'll assume you're referring to the zombies of the Romero-universe, in which case I would say no. There is no consciousness, self-awareness or concept of identity.
What I was really after was, are they still aware *at all*? Or is it literally just the body moving around by itself, kind of like a leaf being blown by the wind?

To put it another way: When a person dies in a Romeroverse movie, do they actually come back, from their own POV, as a zombie, or do they go on to their final reward (i.e. their soul) whereas their body is just left?

In some of those movies (and in the 2004 remake), we see characters express fear at becoming a zombie. But if my suspicion is correct, they have nothing to be afraid of, for once they're dead, their consciousness or 'soul' moves on, and their body is all that's left - strictly on autopilot. They don't have to deal with "becoming" zombies, because the actual person is not there anymore - the zombie has no more consciousness than a piece of firewood. Get my drift?

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; August 27 2010 at 07:45 PM.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote