View Single Post
Old August 27 2010, 03:26 AM   #1
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Sex & the gender gap

I'm hoping to start a dialogue that will bridge the gap between men & women in our society. Men & women have a lot of differences, biologically & socially. But what is it that makes them generally unable to communicate with each other? I think I have a theory. Feel free to suggest alternate ones. And while this isn't the only root cause, I think it may be one of the most significant & illustrative ones:

Men are under the very strong impression that women don't want to have sex.

There's this frequently recurring pattern in male/female relations where men are portrayed as voracious animals willing to do anything & everything just to "get some" while women are portrayed as frigid, saintly types that have to be bribed or tricked into having sex. If I can speak as a man (not necessarily representing all men), I think men only come across this way because, of all their physical desires, sex seems to be the most difficult one to fulfill. Men seem so single-minded because it's such a simple thing that seems so damn difficult. And men can't really understand why, considering, by most accounts, sex is considered to be a pretty fun, pleasurable experience for all involved.

I'm not saying women have to be having more sex. But it seems as if women don't really respect the sexual desires of men. Respecting them doesn't mean that you have to indulge them. Respect means not regarding male sexuality as an ignorant beast that needs to be civilized to the point of obscurity.

What do you think? Am I on the right track here?