View Single Post
Old August 24 2010, 01:49 AM   #3
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: If Braga had a chance to do "Endgame" over again...

kes7 wrote: View Post
As someone with personal experience in this area, the idea of a woman so unable to get over her victimization that she is "damaged" and must die for it is seriously one of the most offensive things I've ever heard. Bad, bad analogy, Braga. You deserve whatever shit you get for making it.

Do you have a link for this? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just kind of ... needing to see it with my own eyes? Because seriously -- who says something like that?

ETA: Never mind. I see it in the sidebar there. W ... T... F. Seriously. It takes a lot to offend me, and that comment did. Beyond the bad rape analogy, the idea that Seven's past DOOMED her is so antithetical to Trek's optimism in general that I kind of wonder how he ever got hired. Wow.
I don't think he means it in the way you're taking it.
I don't think he means because she damaged that she must die. I see it as in the confusion of her life, her scarifice like Data would give her life meaning. Too give your life for those you love is one of the most human unselfish things you can do, so where as she was confused by never being fully Borg or human, her death gives us an answer. She died doing a human thing and that will have more impact on the crew & the audience than anything she's ever done.

However, I still don't think Braga gets that the problem with "Endgame" isn't the story per say but rather the conclusion too the story in general. Seven's death is still nothing if we don't know what happens to everyone after.