View Single Post
Old August 23 2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: Your favourite version(s) of Stargate

That's kind of a piece of the Big American Action Hero (TM) schtick that I've seen numerous times, and if I'm to be perfectly brutally honest in my personal musings, classic Kurt Russell. That is to say, it's something I've never been remotely fond of or moved by. It's just not my cup tea, Earl Gray, hot. At all.

That's what draws me to characters like Jack O'Neill (two L's) and Daniel Jackson, and John Sheppard to a somewhat lesser extent. They show themselves as action heroes sometimes (Jackson obviously to a lesser extent, but enough later on to be mentioned) but they've got a strong, interesting head on their shoulders to make it more believable and capable of being connected with. It's also part of what gets me into such class acts as John Crichton, a character I feel a compulsion to mention given our... similar signatures.

It leads to another issue I have with SGU so far: there's really no one to take that role, which is fine since they're going for something different, but the trade-off hasn't been worth it so far. Colonel Young is Strong-Willed But Flawed (TM) but his flaws have rubbed me the wrong way; I don't care about his wife drama because it's not presented well and it's trite to boot. Scott is Inexperienced But Youthful And Determined (TM), which is all well and good, except where I've gotten to so far, the only point he's done anything I've remotely cared about was in "Time", the last episode I've seen so far. Otherwise he's just boning it up, and... talking to Chloe.

I like how I've seen multiple people lately claim that the show is starting to get itself together, though. It helps me suck it up and keep going with it again soon, especially after seeing a friend's review in which he decided he just wasn't going to watch anymore because it had actually gotten much worse by the end of the first season. That doesn't seem to be popular consensus at all, so I'm more than willing to give it more time.

Time... "Time" was the best of the first eight episodes. Teehee.