View Single Post
Old August 20 2010, 04:49 PM   #5
DecktheThralls
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Wildfire

The alien relented; Katherine gasped and clutched the burning points of contact, wracked in a pain that was somehow more than physical.

“Who...are...you...and...what are you...doing on...my ship!“

Suddenly her body cycled through dozens of strange emotional responses, and a living image of the galaxy overwhelmed her mind.

“Get...out...of...my...head!”

It was the computer that spoke:

Communication...juxtapose... psycho...physicality. Isolated... shattered... existence... you...Somatiforms. The computer finished and the alien looked her over in silence. Her powdery coral skin and articulated coverings appeared to bioluminesce in subtle differential patterns, and Kathryn noticed a somewhat tingling field that surrounded her being like some kind of ionic pressure fold.

We...comprehend...you...momentarily.

Kathryn's head reeled. “What have you done to my mind!”

Emergence. Nature. Expression. Propogation.

“I don't understand!”

The alien crouched and ran a finger on the floor as if she were drawing something in sand.

Emergence.

The Nature of...your existence...we experienced...in the... Emergence...of... the Captain Cha-Ko-Tay. We...embody...the Federation Somatiform Path.

“You...studied our species? Through Captain Chakotay?”

We...experienced...your...triform...perception.

“Wait – what? Our triform what?” Kathryn said.

Psycho...physio...subquantal...extractive-awareness.

When Kathryn didn't understand, the computer continued:

Relativistic...connective...trinary embodiment.

Kathryn deliberately calmed herself despite the lingering shocks. The alien was at least making an effort at communication, without the direct neural interference she had relied upon until now; Kathryn wasn't about to let the opportunity slip away.

“Yes; Chakotay is...relativistically connective. You put Chakotay through this...this? So you could understand the nature of our species?”

Understanding...occludes...embodiment.

“'Embodiment'. How we live and think? Who we are? Our place in...the universe?” She had a realization. “Or was it - the human heart.”

The alien blinked.

The...Expression...of...the Federation Somatiform Path...we...experienced... in...the Emergence of the Commander Harry S.L. Kim. We apprehend your...Extant Capacity...through he. The... preceptive... reflex... of...the Federation Somatiform...will.

“Do you mean...our character?”

Yes. No.

“Through Commander Kim, you...experienced...whether we practice what we preach? Our impact on the galaxy? Well I'd stake the reputation of Starfleet on Harry any day of the week.”

The alien's nacreous irises cycled through the spectrum in harmonizing grades of color.

The Emergence of...this Admiral Kathryn Janeway...reveals... the Propogation...of the Federation Somatiform Path. If... locus...of experience... perpetuates... as preceptive imposition...of static paradigms or... Emergent Capacity.

Kathryn rubbed her forehead. It didn't help.

If how... the Federation Somatiform...masters its codes...or is mastered by them. You...like the others...chose apparent cessation...over existence. You...Federation Somatiform... perpetuate... Emergence... unknowingly.

“Through my vision -”

Emergence. Subquantal temporal dissolution.

Kathryn hesitated at the thought that somehow, her vision could – in some reality – actually have happened. She instantly knew she didn't want an answer to that question.

“Through this...Emergence...you wanted to know how we perpetuate ourselves. Our cultures, our practices? If we wear our uniforms – or if the uniforms wear us. Starfleet officers call it...duty. But on a more personal level some call it...humanity.”

The alien watched her in silence, which Kathryn took to mean she was as close as she was going to get to comprehending the alien.

“And what have you observed?”

The alien stood and the computer spoke: You...incomprehensibly...defy...your Nature.

Yes. We do.” Regaining her composure, Kathryn stood to her full length and confronted the alien eye-to-eye. “And what did this Emergence tell you about how we 'somatiforms' respond to being held captive in forced complicity to a genocide? The destruction of a sun!”

The alien walked around the bridge, regarding the crew frozen in states of catatonia.

The Path...reflexes. Incomplete...your apprehension...is. Manifest capacity...we...facilitate. Containment...our only...influence. Subquantal... temporal lineage...preserved. Self-destruction...the absolute...precondition...of Enqar...Emergence.

Of you...Federation Somatiforms...we have our...indication. Self-destruction...the absolute precondition...of Federation Emergence.

The alien turned to her.

Yet... we... have never encountered a... conscience capable...of deflecting Emergence... before. Until the Captain Tuvok. And...now... this...Admiral...of Kathryn Janeway.

Around you...the Path...disentwines.

Your Somatiform existence...

The alien studied the crew on her way back to Kathryn, each possibly in the throes of an Emergence.

Curious...Blind...Discordant... Beautiful...Capacious...Emergent.

She faced Kathryn.

Tragic.

Your path narrows.

As the alien glided to the Captain's chair, Kathryn noticed a callout appear on the flickering Ops display. It indicated an unauthorized access in the computer core. Lifesign: Vulcan.

She feigned dizziness and cleared the panel.

Kathryn approached the alien. “Who are you?”

The Path...reflexes.

Kathryn sat, and persisted. “I, am Admiral Kathryn Janeway. A human Starfleet officer representing the United Federation of Planets, and the one responsible for the actions and safety of this crew.”

The alien regarded her. We are QadishuKyaliYaru...of...Cyati... Metaquantal...Solipsis.

“Well, Qadishu...Kyali...Yaru, of the Cyati Metaquantal Solipsis, ” Kathryn strained, “Now that you understand us a bit better, we are beginning to communicate. Perhaps we can work together to understand each other.

“You took this vessel because you needed to stop a threat to the entire galaxy - the resurrection and evolution of the Borg. But that doesn't explain why you needed Voyager in particular. It also doesn't explain what you plan to do when we arrive in the Alpha Quadrant. Or why.

“Release my vessel and let us establish a dialogue. I offer you my promise that you won't be harmed; and you will be heard. Perhaps together we can avoid the need for any further destruction.”

The Cyati looked Kathryn over in consideration.

Suddenly the ship's systems lost power. Voyager fell violently from the slipstream. Kathryn hauled herself to the ops station. The bioneural net was currently suffering...an infection from a systemic blockage of artificial neurotransmitters. On another panel, the environmental controls cycled through the planetary atmospheres of various Federation worlds. The cycle settled on Andoria. Suddenly the ship's ambient temperature dropped to twenty below zero Celsius.

The alien ran to the helm – and collapsed to the floor.

A transporter pattern activated on the bridge. Captain Tuvok appeared, phaser pointed at the alien. He turned her over.

She touched his face, as a transporter field took her.

Kathryn couldn't override the shuttle transporter in time. The alien and shuttlecraft beamed off the ship. On screen, the shuttle jumped to warp, as Voyager careened out of control in the deep uncharted space - of the Delta Quadrant.

Tuvok turned to Kathryn, as Voyager's emergency power failed.

Deja vu,” she said.

Last edited by DecktheThralls; August 20 2010 at 06:09 PM.
DecktheThralls is offline   Reply With Quote