View Single Post
Old August 20 2010, 11:27 AM   #42
SRFX
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

JETREL - 1x15 - 5/5

There's not really any need to go on about the positives of this episode at length. Put simply, it is a stunning and timeless character drama that remains impressive over multiple viewings.

"Jetrel" gives Neelix some much needed character development and back story. This episode finally made Neelix palatable and despite him continually being an annoying character for the rest of the series, I can at least fall back on his personal revelations of this episode and understand why he is the way he is.

There are a couple of logic oversights in this episode, such as the great distance involved in returning to Rynax and Neelix not bothering to visit his homeworld and visit any remaining friends and family before heading back into oblivion with Voyager. But I am more than happy to handwave oversights like this if the story and characterisation is strong enough - and this is Voyager's best outing yet.

One thing I would have liked is a possible discussion of Dr. Jetrel being tried for war crimes and Janeway realising she had no way of enforcing this. It doesn't really affect the episode, but I think a quick 30 second scene where this is discussed and dismissed could have added to the whole "we are starfleet but can't always be starfleet because we're not in Kansas anymore" theme of the series.
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote