View Single Post
Old August 14 2010, 08:39 PM   #26
Mal
Rear Admiral

Re: Firefly ep by ep; rewatch and reviews

look, we're only criticizing because we care - we're all glad you're doing these reviews, and we all want your reviews to be better.

here's one handy tip: there is a Preview Post button. use it at least once before you hit Submit Post, read the whole thing through, and make whatever edits are obvious. i'm sure that will fix half the problems in your reviews.

now, i'll just point out a few quite fixes that should help you out:

saturn5 wrote: View Post
As for the notches, well, not so many so far, married Wash and Zoe seem to have the most sex
exactly. here's my suggestion, if you really must keep track of "notches" and "packing heat" and "knocked out" then please, only post those statistics in the reviews of episodes where they change.

i'll say it again: you can keep a running tally of these things on your computer. and if in fact there is a change (a new notch, or whatever) during the course of an episode, then post that section. if no change, then leave that section out. simple, easy improvement.

Anyway, cleaned up format, see if you like this better;
Our Mrs Reynolds
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2] 
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] 
how can we like "[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]" etc. better? this is why i'll say again, use the Preview Post button.

Best line;
Mal; "How drunk was I last night?"
Jayne; "I don't know I passed out"
plus
Mal; "You've the same right as anyone to live and kill people"
here's why we're excited to have you doing these reviews - most people would say the Special Hell spiel by Book was the best line. But these are great too. it's wonderful to have a new perspective

Packing heat
;
One of the bandits appears to pack a Springfield rifle. Jayne shows Mal 'Vera', his 'Callahan full bore autolock assault rifle' which needs oxygen to work. I must say I was totally fooled by this scene, I knew Jayne wasn't threatening Mal but I thought he was actually giving the gun to him as a wedding present.
this is probably the first episode where Packing Heat is an essential component of a review, in that Vera is pretty damn central to firefly mythology. it works here, but that doesn't mean you have to include this section every single episode.

Kinky dinky;
go back through this thread and see if anyone (even one person) enjoys this section.

Notches on the Serenity bedpost; incredibly Mal resists

Inarra;1-a paying customer who wishes to make her his kept woman, 1 possible, Atherton.
Wash; 1-the missus
Zoe; 1-the hubby
nothing changed this episode, so leave this section out for this review. easy, simply improvement.

Capt subtext
;
here's why this section rarely works for your reviews: there isn't a whole lot of subtext in firefly - the adults on this show are perfectly capable and willing to display their true feels without resort to angst or passive aggressiveness (except Inara & Mal, but that's why we love them!). there are some very notable exceptions such as the very last episode, but again, this section will be most appreciated when it is used sparingly.

How'd they get away with that?
see, you can leave a section blank when nothing changes! now you just have to learn to leave it out altogether when there is nothing to report. same applies to -
Total Serenity crew; 9
Mal, Zoe, Jayne, Wash, Kaylee, Inarra, Book, Simon, River
nothing changes = leave it out for now.
Know the face?
Fanfic;
no one cares.

Happy high-class hookers in Space;
Western cliches;
Women good/men bad;
Firefly speak;
Alliance good or bad?;
look, these are really interesting and central aspects of firefly lore, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on them. but it doesn't work so well when you just shove them into every single review.

some episodes really do tell us a lot about the Alliance, and it'd be a great time to point out the gray area in which the crew of Serenity operate. other episodes are heavy on the Companion aspect of this 'verse, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on how that compares to the part of the world you live in, or other parts of the world you might have traveled to or read about.

a western in space - wagon train to the stars - lay it on us! just don't force every review to say something about it in a standardized format.

you're writing a review, not doing your taxes.

Questions and observations;
The opening dirge is very Xena. We see the friendship between Mal and Jayne developing to a great degree, they seem more like buddies in this ep than before. Is Bau a real dish? We learn a little more about Mal, he's from the planet Shadow. The way the wreckers refer to the Firefly she sounds like the Volkswagon Beetle of spaceships. Note Saffron seduces Mal not with her body so much as flattering him for his morality. Inara pretty handy in a fight, maybe they teach more than footwashing at the academy. Why don't they all just pile into Inara's shuttle when they're being lured into the net? Or if they depressurise the cargo bay wouldn't it alter their course? Presumably the suit keeps pumping oxygen in when the visor is shattered allowing Vera to still function in a vaccum. Very little River in this ep, does she even have any lines?
Marks out of 10; 8 bordering on a 9, really good, up there with Serenity as the best ep so far, funny, thrilling and some great character moments, really like Saffron and I hope we might see her again, I hope the rest of the series is this good.
this is all we really care about. and it's the only reason we criticize. because we want more of this

keep flying.