View Single Post
Old August 14 2010, 07:44 PM   #36
Gaith
Vice Admiral

Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Reverend wrote: View Post
Of course V was the main character. He/she was the title character for goodness sake and had just as much screen time as Evey. As important as she was, the whole film was about Evey discovering V, she was the audience's POV into the world.
Right. V didn't change, so the whole film was about Evey and how V changed her. And the title is not conclusive. The whale is not the main character of Moby-Dick.

Reverend wrote: View Post
But if you want a more relevant example, how about the most glaringly obvious; Vader. Sure the films don't follow him around all the time
Right, because he wasn't the main character. Same for Cyclops and Geordi, though with those guys you could at least see their eyebrows.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'm not a Judge Dredd expert by any means and maybe actual Dredd fans can pipe up here if there are any but I'm guessing that Dredd not taking off his helmet is part of the iconic symbolism from the comics
Yes, thanks, I get that, but what may work in a comic or short film or video game (or may not; I've never read any JD and thus have no idea what the quality's like) doesn't necessarily translate well to a feature-length movie.

If they make a movie where the main character (I'm assuming the role isn't to be a Vader-like supporting player) never shows his face, it'd better either be one of the best movies of the year or expected to provide only a modest return, because I think that's going to turn a lot of people off.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote