View Single Post
Old August 14 2010, 06:36 PM   #16
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: What do you do...

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post

Which means I'll have to focus and concentrate just on that effort. Actually, writing comes naturally to me. I can write all day about anything, but it's getting one topic down without straying off on a hundred other topics.

My mind wanders so much, I'm starting to think I have ADD.
As someone who actually does have ADD, I'd like to clarify a few things.

ADD doesn't mean you can't pay attention or that you can only pay attention for a very short period of time. In my experience, it means you have wider attention "bandwidth" and it can be easily polluted or distracted away from whatever it is you want to focus on. Normally, I help myself focus by filling that bandwidth with background noise--music, TV shows, whatever. I'm not really paying attention to them, but having them fill out the edges of my attention span lets me focus on what's right in front of me. This doesn't necessarily work for everyone, but it works for me. I am a born multi-tasker as a result.

As for writing--putting words down is easy. Making something good out of it is hard. It's a discipline as much as an art. Too many people think that good writing is something you just crank out and it's there. While it may be true for a small number of very gifted writers, the vast majority have to write, revise, rewrite, revise again, and rewrite some more. It's like sculpting in that sense--very gradually do you produce the final vision of your work, it doesn't come right off the bat.

It's fine to write without any kind of established direction, just don't expect to get anything coherent or good out of it. It's better to start with some idea of where you want to go and see where it takes you. Having a plan is good--just be flexible about it. If you have a better idea along the way, toss the plan and go with the new direction. Just give yourself some structure to start with, or it will be very hard to produce anything that makes any sense or that other people will be interested in.
Well, the ADD comment was tongue in cheek (), but I understand what you're saying. Structure is difficult, and I'm going to have to train myself to follow it. I'm sure you've noticed, but I don't really move in a set pattern, I tend to move more like a...well, like a cloud. Although I do get very focused when I'm under pressure to get something done. I'm just not good with putting myself under deadlines. I'm that guy who says "No later than 3 PM! I MUST have this done by 3 PM today!" and then 2:30 comes around and I say "You know, that's a little unfair, let's make it 4:30".
I don't know if you're thinking of this writing stuff and something you'll do for a living, but if so I would highly recommend against it. Keep it as a "just for fun" thing that you might do something serious with eventually.

I just don't want you to get your hopes up that you'll make a living at it. It's extremely rare to make a living as a writer. And even the business-oriented writing professions such as technical documentation are in a really rough spot right now.

Speaking more broadly, it sounds like you may be having trouble finding work precisely because you are a generalist with no specific skills or expertise. It would help to find something you can get good at and get paid for, but you'll probably have to be good at it before anyone will hire you to do it.

I don't know what you might want to do. If you're willing to learn some kind of programming, you can try RentACoder.com. As for the writing, there are numerous freelance writing sites out there that you could try. I'll warn you that none of this short contract work tends to pay well, but it's money and experience you can put on your resume.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote