View Single Post
Old August 14 2010, 08:26 AM   #17
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Gaith wrote: View Post
Any other non-JD-fans think that doing a whole movie around a protagonist whose face you don't see is likely to be artistically disastrous? A 30-minute short film, maybe. But a feature?

Sorry, I just don't see it.
It's been done before, several times. In fact I've already mentioned 'V for Vendetta' once in an earlier post and that film is hardly a unique example. That's not even counting films with extensive prosthetics, of which there are legion.

Hell, you only see a little more of Batman's face than you would Dredd's and that's never been much of an impediment. Granted that little bit extra happens to be the eyes, which can make a huge difference to a performer but I think Urban is up to it.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Why is he not allowed to ever show his face? Can't he take off his helmet when he's at home? Does he wear the helmet to sleep and in the shower?
Sure he can and he does, but the way they usually frame it in the comics you never see anything above his nose, not even in profile. It's just one of those things where the helmet and uniform is so ingrained into his identity that whatever his head happens to look like without the helmet, it's not his real face. There are other factors too that tie into him being the personification of law, order and authority, which must of course be as faceless as justice is blind.

It's sort of like how you never really see Charlie in Charlie's Angels or Captain Mainwaring's wife in Dad's Army or Chef in Enterprise. You know his face is there, that logically there must be something under that visor but you never see it.

Last edited by Reverend; August 14 2010 at 08:37 AM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote